Academic job interviews – where to find advice on the web
Although this is, above all, a history blog, it is also a space to reflect upon academia more generally.
A decisive aspect of every academic’s career is applying and interviewing for jobs. Several digital resources from university websites to private blogs offer advice.
Here is a far from complete list of (helpful) links in different languages:
- “Transferable PhD Skills You Can Use in Any Career” (written by Charlie Hothi and published on www.DiscoverPhDs.com): This article was written in response to the questions of recent PhD graduates who are applying to academic jobs but aren’t sure how to effectively sell the skills and qualities they’ve developed over the course of their PhD.
- “Applying for an academic job” (University of Nottingham): This page covers all the steps of academic job applications from finding academic job vacancies to writing academic CVs and preparing for interviews.
- “How to apply for an academic job” (Jobs.ac.uk Ebook)
- Sumita Mukherjee’s personal experiences interviewing for academic jobs in India and Britain: https://sumitamukherjee.wordpress.com/
- “What Nobody Tells You About the Academic Job Interviews” by Rachel W. Gammons: http://www.ala.org/rt/nmrt/news/footnotes/february2014/what-nobody-tells-you-about-academic-job-interview
- Sample Interview Questions (Princeton University): https://careerservices.princeton.edu/graduate-students/exploring-options-outside-academy/non-academic-job-search-toolkit/interviews/sample-questions
- “The #Facepalm Fails of the Academic Interview” by Karen L. Kelsky: https://theprofessorisin.com/2011/11/29/the-facepalm-fails-of-the-academic-interview/
- “How to shine in an academic interview” by Steve Joy: https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2014/feb/07/prepare-academic-interviews-top-tips
- “Career advice: how to prepare for an academic interview” by Kevin O’Gorman and Robert MacIntosh: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/career-advice-how-prepare-academic-interview
EDIT: Unfortunately, this article is no longer available on “Times Higher Education”. Please check out Kevin O’Gorman’s other “career advice” publications or contact him in person.
- “Academic job interviews” by Vitae Careers Research and Advisory Centre: https://www.vitae.ac.uk/researcher-careers/pursuing-an-academic-career/applying-for-academic-jobs/academic-job-interviews
- “Delivering an effective presentation” (University of Leicester): https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/ld/resources/presentations/delivering-presentation
- “Préparer son dossier de candidature” (Université de Genève): https://www.unige.ch/dife/carriere/etudiants-jeunes-diplomes/mes-outils-de-recherche/dossier-de-candidature
- “Préparer son entretien” (Université de Franche-Comté): http://stage-emploi.univ-fcomte.fr/index.php?id=itemmenu_article_15763_14090_74_1&
- “Entretien d’embauche en anglais” (Scribbr): https://www.scribbr.fr/aide-en-anglais/entretien-embauche-anglais/
- “Wie bewerbe ich mich als Akademiker?” von Vera Schankath: https://www.academics.de/ratgeber/bewerbung-akademiker
- “Das Bewerbungsanschreiben von Akademikern” von Vera Schankath: https://www.academics.de/ratgeber/anschreiben-akademiker
- “Fallstricke bei E-Mail-Bewerbungen” (Karriere SPIEGEL): http://www.spiegel.de/karriere/bewerbung-per-e-mail-haben-ihre-tuecken-a-950368.html
Please leave a comment below if you would like to review any services or can add further links (e.g. to resources in languages other than English). Thank you very much!